To develop informed, skilled and committed community leadership representative of the area’s diverse citizens.
Leadership Thurston County is a healthy, sustainable and recognized member of the community, working with others to develop civic leadership.
The program was established to develop community leaders. It is a local program created specifically for our community and designed to help participants:
- Acquire knowledge and a broad understanding of the complex issues facing South Sound.
- Build relationships for collaborative efforts needed to resolve challenges.
- Enhance leadership skills through experiences with community leaders and other activities during the year.
Leadership Thurston County is designed to:
- Identify and recruit highly motivated emerging and current leaders to participate in the program.
- Inform, challenge and engage participants about the opportunities and needs of the community.
- Develop interpersonal relationships and an esprit de corps among the participants.
- Create a dialogue and rapport among participants and community leaders.
- Assist in identifying opportunities for community involvement.
At the completion of Leadership Thurston County, graduates will demonstrate:
- TRUSTEESHIP: Graduates will have an attitude of willingness to serve beyond self-interest with a perspective that includes future generations.
- LEADERSHIP: Graduates will have enhanced their natural competencies in leadership roles and understand different aspects of leadership, power and personal styles.
- KNOWLEDGE: Graduates will gain understanding of selected issues relevant to Thurston County and the South Puget Sound region from a variety of perspectives.
- ACTIONS: Graduates will seek opportunities to act as trustees in areas of interest.
Leadership Thurston County shall be nonpartisan, non-sectarian, and non-political. The words "non-political" and "nonpartisan" shall be construed to mean solely that the Leadership Thurston County program shall not engage in any activity favoring or opposing any issue, proposal or the election of any candidate for office, or political party, group or faction. (Excerpted from Bylaws adopted by the Board of Regents)
809 Legion Way / Olympia, WA 98501
PO Box 1427 / Olympia, WA 98507
Email: [email protected]